Contact Info

Website: www.drewcarlsonphotography.com Email: contact@drewcarlsonphotography.com


Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Recap!

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted and I bet some of you are wondering what the heck I've been up to. Well, If you're not already following my Facebook Fan Page you've missed out on a lot of good stuff.

But even for those that ARE, I've got a treat for you. I'm recapping this year's lesser known photos and projects. There won't be any of my wedding photos in here, there are plenty of other places to see those, instead you'll see all of the crazy directions I've been pulled this year.

Click below and prepare yourself. It's a lengthy post!




We started off the year with an awesome trip to Cozumel Mexico to shoot Lindsey and Kyle's wedding. We had just been there a few months before for our honeymoon but you can't get too much of Mexico in the winter!

Also ended up doing some volunteer work for the Guthrie Theater. I photographed the 2010 BFA graduates for their yearly group photo.

Coming home from a booking I happened upon this character. Seemed as though he had fallen on hard times but I sat and chatted with him for a while. He had some pretty impressive stories about how he came to be where he was and I ended up buying him dinner before I was on my way.

Somehow I found myself shooting MMA (cage fighting) and was simply floored by the athleticism and commitment from these guys


OH! I can't forget! We moved from the Elk River area to the St. Paul area! We love it down here. :)

Remember when I said 2010 has pulled me in all sorts of new directions? Well who would've thought I would be doing yearbook photos for a Zombie Highschool Musical?


Does anybody remember the crazy storms we had this summer?!

I work quite a bit with local musicians, here we have the Jeremy Sanoski Band.

I've been dabbling a bit in action sports. Here we've got Josh Tranby in Centerville. Worth mentioning, if you're gonna shoot this stuff make sure your camera is waterproof.

I found a fresh new sound from these guys. They're barely a year old as a band and making some major progress in Minnesota. Culture Cry Wolf. Expect to see plenty more photos of them in the future.

Had the pleasure of photographing these lovely ladies from Elk River. I graduated with the majority of them.

While killing some time in Downtown St. Paul this gentleman's curiosity was piqued. We chatted a bit and I asked if I could take his photo, he obliged. The stars aligned and I couldn't have asked for a better setting or subject. The hint of pride peeking through his tough exterior makes the photo for me.

Well, they asked back to photograph some fights at the St. Paul Armory and I couldn't say no.



I bet quite a few of you remember Talia (if not, look down to my previous blog entry). Well, here are a couple from her shoot that, for one reason or another, didn't get posted! I thought they deserved some air time now.


Here we are on-set for Toussaint Morrison's mixtape video. I was in charge of the lighting. Expect to see the finished video in the next month or two.

Here I am again, shooting more fights... But this time we're shooting some professional boxing, and no longer at the Armory but at the Hyatt Regency Downtown.




Next we've got some photos with the super talented comic book artist Mitch Gerads. I worked with him while I was in High School and I still remember all of the amazing sketches he'd just leave around the workspace. I give him quite a bit of credit for where I am today as a visual artist (tried to follow in his footsteps with graphic design but sidetracked to photography).



Another shoot w/Toussaint Morrison. Make sure to check out what he's doing at http://www.facebook.com/TheBlend or http://www.facebook.com/toussaintmorrisonmusic

And a spin-off from The Blend, we've got Todd Bordewick's new band Chrome Lotus. They'll be releasing their first album any time now so be sure to look out for it.

Prof and DJ Fundo wanted to do a picnic photoshoot. How can you say no to that?


Later on they sold out the Varsity Theater.

More action sports with Josh Tranby! This time it's snowboarding! We've had plenty of snow this winter to make this possible!


And then of course... The Doomtree Blowout/Snowout VI.




Lazerbeak jamming on guitar.

Well, there you have it. That's 2010 in a nutshell. I can tell you that 2011 will be even more insane (in a good way). I hope you enjoyed this little look into my non-wedding photography life. Thanks so much to everyone that has supported me.

-Drew

No comments: